City of Guthrie Center
Guthrie Center Municipal Utilities
Source Water is defined as a lake, stream, river, or aquifer from which drinking water is obtained

For more Information Contact:

Erick VanCura:

Or go to the Iowa DNR SWP webpage:

69.11  SNOW REMOVAL.  During snow events, when plowing will be necessary, the City will implement an Emergency Parking Ban.  No person shall park, abandon or leave unattended any vehicle on any residential street, alley, or City-owned off-street parking area during an Emergency Parking Ban.  An Emergency Parking Ban shall be defined as commencement of the fall of snow and accumulation of such snow to a depth of two (2) or more inches and/or accumulation of ice covering the entire surface of streets. 


1.         A snow emergency parking ban shall continue until the snow has ceased to fall and has been removed or plowed from said street, alley or parking area. 

2.         All motor vehicles and vehicles of any other kind shall be removed from residential and/or commercial streets during an Emergency Parking Ban and/or when snow removal operations are in progress and before such operations have resulted in the removal or clearance of snow from the City streets.  Any City Official may direct motor vehicles of any kind to be removed from City streets. 

3.         The vehicles shall be removed and not left standing or parked on the streets, as provide above, in order to facilitate snow removal.  Snow removal shall include the action of any and all snow equipment necessary to remove snow from the City streets to provide access and proper use of said streets.

 Vehicles left standing or parked in violation of this Chapter may be towed at the owner’s expense, may be fined, or both.

 Penalties.  Vehicles left standing or parked in violation of this Chapter shall be fined in accordance in Chapter 70.03


136.03  REMOVAL OF SNOW, ICE AND ACCUMULATIONS  Within ten (10) hours after the accumulation of snow and ice, property owner's must remove such snow and ice from sidewalks.  If not, the City may do so and assess the costs against the property owner for collection in the same manner as a property tax.  (Chp 136.03)

Source Water Protection

What is Source Water Protection?

Living in Iowa many of us are aware of how water quality has become something of a hot button issue. Nitrates, atrazine, and other chemicals commonly used in agriculture can be a risk to drinking water and the health of Iowa’s population. In order to improve the water quality of the state, Iowa’s DNR has created a program dedicated to improving water quality (Source Water Protection).   

Source Water is defined as any lake, stream, river, or aquifer from which drinking water is obtained. Source water Protection is the prevention of contaminants from entering public drinking water sources. The majority of Iowa’s small towns rely on shallow aquifers which are highly susceptible to pollutants. Thus, certain steps must be taken to ensure their water quality.  

How it Works:

Source Water Protection works through a series of actions helping to lower the levels of pollutants in drinking water. Source water actions can be broken up into separate categories based on the entity which is working on them or their purpose (landowners, local government, education and outreach etc.). For instance, a landowner action could be to plant a cover crop.

The City of Guthrie Center has taken the initiative to start Source Water Protection planning in order to maintain the high standards of drinking water citizens have come to expect. Throughout 2016/2017 City administrators and Landowners (who live near the well area) have been meeting to discuss ideas regarding how to ensure Guthrie Center’s future water quality. 

Where to Learn More:

If you are interested in learning more about Source Water Protection you can contact Erick VanCura (Guthrie Center Utilities). Otherwise, the Iowa DNR has resources available through their website.

Aquatic Center - 332-2989

Utility Billing Inquiries - 332-2190

City Clerk/Administrator - 332-2190

Zoning Questions- 332-2190